
Most people I talk to are disappointed that the warm days of summer have again come and gone, and they become weary-minded about the onset of fall. I personally love the fall season with the leaves changing colors and floating softly to the ground. I love the atmosphere that is created as the temperature begins to decline. Now, as I write this, I am sitting in my office in central Florida where we experience two seasons - Hot and Hotter. However, I can easily let my mind drift back to the years I spent in New Jersey shortly after college. After Daylight Savings Time ended, the drive home from the office was rather dark, but I would put the windows of my Dodge Durange down and enjoy the cool air entering my SUV. As Thankgiving passed, the temperatures dropped even lower and the chances of snow began to enter the daily forecast. This brought my favorite season of the year - Christmas!
Yes, Christmas! Not "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" or "Wintertime". It is Christmas! People seem to have lost the true meaning and spirit of Christmas. I miss the days when Christmas caroling was a major event for the neighborhood. I become so disappointed with our local, state, and federal governments that prohibit the idea of Christmas in our public squares due to the political correctness of our world. For the sake of a few who have not seemed to acknowledge the love, grace, and mercy of the Creator we all suffer the removal of Christmas from many areas of our life. I heard the other day that some store managers prohibit their staff from even speaking the words "Merry Christmas" to customers.
Christmas is a time of hope, a time of family and friends, and a time to reflect especially on what our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ did for us. I love to drive down the road listening to the sounds of Christmas. Even "Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer" gets my spirits lifted. I especially love that jingle "Grandma got runover by a reindeer". "Frosty the Snowman", "White Christmas", "It's a Wonderful Life", and so many more television shows make the season merry. To me, though, Christmas isn't Christmas without hearing "O Little Town of Bethlehem", "Silent Night, Holy Night", "Joy to the World", "We Three Kings", and many more Christian hymns about the birth of Jesus.
Christmas is a wonderful time to spend with family. Although Christmas definitely isn't about shopping, though retailers might try to make you believe that, it is fun to spend time together finding those things your loved one would enjoy. It isn't about getting someone a gift more expensive than your opposing relative did. The idea of gift-giving stems from the fact that God gave His most precious Son as the ultimate gift to mankind, so we show our love for our friends and relatives by locating that special gift that will show them how much we love them. Most today try to use it as a time to impress someone rather than simply extend great love. I miss those days.
My wife and I traveled to Orlando to see the Glenn Beck Christmas Tour show, and we were both delighted with the performance. It was a rather simple show about the true meaning of Christmas, and I agree with Glenn that it is not about Santa or the wintery weather or the family parties or the food. It is ultimately about the One who was born in a humble manger, died a cruel death, but rose from the grave to give us the one gift we all needed but could never obtain on our own - REDEMPTION. We all need redemption from our sins, and that was the ultimate gift ever given.
Each Christmas, I am reminded of this gift. I try not to get so wrapped up in the gift buying, the parties, or the other secular events. I make sure that my children and family know that Christmas is about Christ, so we read the story of Christmas from Luke 2 each year.
While we are rushing to this store and that store over the next few weeks or driving around looking at the beautiful displays of lights, let us none forget what Christmas really means. Let us continue to fight to keep our rights to observe Christmas with no objections. Let us enjoy that warmth and hope that comes this time of year. May this season bring joy and a renewal of our spirit that will carry us through the next year.
Merry Christmas!
I have plans to be in New Jersey this year for Christmas. I am praying for snow. I am praying for income. After being wrongly fired from my previous job, I have come to realize that God is using this past year to bring me to the bottom to totally rely on Him. It is tough to be a husband and father of four with no job, no income, negative balances in the bank accounts and be facing Christmas. However, it has certainly brought me to the point at which Christmas is ALL about Him. There is no money for gifts this year, but we still have each other. We still have Him! I think it will be a great time to teach the childen that Christmas is about God giving to us and us giving to Him. I believe it will be a fun Christmas!
May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas season. Enjoy it!
No comments:
Post a Comment